Sunday, November 2, 2014

Wild Card Re-Cap


   BFL Regional Wild Card
   Kentucky Lake / 10-24.25-2014

  After a disappointing regular season fishing the BFL/Choo-Choo division, Which included two derbies that resulted in
ZERO keepers being caught, I was down like four flat tires. One fish in either derby would have solidified a spot in the
regional being held on the St. John's river and I couldn't Close the Deal. With this being only my second year fishing as
a Co-angler in the BFL, and having qualified for the regional my first year. I had completely Forgotten about the Wild Card regional.
But alas the email arrived and "BAM" we had a chance!
  On the First day of the derby my boater informed me that we would be targeting shallow fish that were actively feeding on bait fish
on two separate flats inside a fairly large creek off the main lake on Lake Barkley. We had a slight breeze pushing across both areas
and there was a few indications of Bait fish in the area. My boater began the day tossing a square bill crank bait to the shore line and I
started with a 6" Triton Mike Bucca "Bull Herring." As a Co-angler I tend to try to pursue fish that are not being targeted by the boaters
offering, and more times than not a large swim bait fits the bill. We worked both flats numerous time the first half of the day, with my boater
catching several non-keepers and I had not a sniff on the swim bait. We were making our last pass down the flat before packing up for a
short run to another area when we came upon a log about 4' long that my boater had caught a short fish from on two different passes.
I had noticed that on every pass he would cast to the log on both ends but never come over the center of the log. He was using a small profile
square bill, and true to form, I tied on a Fat John 60 in Cell Mate pattern. We were moving very quickly down the flat and I knew I would only get
one shot at the center of the log. I fired off my cast and cranked slowly down to the log until it was snugged up on the top and sharply snapped
my rod tip ripping Ole Fat John free. I watched her roll up and choke Ole John. Keeper #1, 1.5 lbs 15 1/4 inches. we finished up the flat without
another fish.
  We moved to a very isolated pocket right off the main lake. The wind had picked up significantly and was blowing directly into the pocket. I
continued making long cast with the swim bait but my confidence was waning that these fish would come up to eat it. After fishing about half of the
pocket the white bass began to corral up the shad and feed on top. I noticed the shad were around 2 1/2" long. We followed the activity
toward the back of the pocket following along an old road bed. I saw a submerged tree trunk with two limbs lying in deeper water on the inside
of the road bed. I had finally given up on a swim bait bite after seeing the size of the shad that were abundant in this pocket, and tied on an
Davis Bait Co. Spinner bait with tandem willow leaf blades. When I finally got into position I fired away with the trusty Spinner bug. Slow rolled
the blade till I got to the big limb off the trunk and once again ripped it over the limb and let it flutter on a slack line. "THUMP" keeper #2
4 lbs.  (didn't measure it, I was too dang fired up). I immediately welled the fish and fired back to the same spot. Same process but with
a not so good outcome. I saw a head roll up on the blade when i snapped it over but she missed it. My heart sank! I knew that keeper bites
were at a premium and I also knew that I had just let one get by me. I fired to the same spot for a third time repeating the process and was
rewarded with keeper #3, 1 1/4 lbs 15". I finished the day with 6 lb 12 oz., and sitting in a respectable 8th place.
 
  Day two of the derby started with a 1 hour and 21 minute ride to our first location. A nice saddle between two hydrilla mats with
good depth on both sides.Needless to say, I was somewhat frazzled after that long of a run at 76 mph and it showed in the first half hour off fishing.
My boater began working a spook across both ends of the saddle and quickly boated four keepers. I began the day just like the day before with the
"Bull Herring". I had no takers on the Herring. I had been watching bait fish dart in and out of a few clumps of isolated hydrilla when I
caught a glimpse of bass roll up a grab one when it darted out of the clump. I picked up the Fat John 60 and began to fan cast to
each isolated clump i could reach. I would bury the crank in the edge of the clump and rip it free. After a half hour of this technique I
finally ripped it out of the right clump and caught my 1st keeper of the day a solid 2 lber. I continued this technique for an hour more
with nothing to show for it. We packed up and ran another 20 minutes south and worked another section of mat for about an hour or so without a
single bite. We returned to the saddle to finish our day. I worked a spook along the edge of the mat and finally coaxed keeper #2 into eating the spook.
A solid 2 lber. I finished the derby with 11 pounds 2 ounces, good enough to get a 2nd place finish and a trip to the All-American.
  I was very fortunate to have drawn two Boaters that got me close to fish,  and as we all know, You've got to be Close to a Bass to Catch a Bass !
I am so looking forward to returning to Kentucky Lake in June of 2015. I hope to see you all there.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment